Thursday, September 18, 2008

What's my name again?

My name is Kathryn Maria.

I was named after Katherine Hepburn. Not the person herself, but the roles she played as an actress. My mother told me that she knew I would need to be strong, and Katherine Hepburn always played strong roles. I was named Maria, after the mother of Jesus. Maria is the Spanish name for Mary.

All my life my family has called me Katie. I was only called Kathryn when I was in trouble or for official reasons, etc.

My mother's nickname for me is Kateums. Which I love! Only my mother can call me that. It's special. One time a boy called me that and I kicked him. Well, I was in kindergarten and It's one of those, "Only my mama can call me that" sort of things.

Anyway, back to the Original story...
My "brilliant" idea was to go by Kathryn when I went off to college. I love the name Kathryn, I love that my mother named me for the reasons that she did, and I love that she liked my name with a "K" and a "y" instead of a "C" or a "erine".

Anyway, I went off to college with my brand new identity. I had wild ideas that I would become this new found person, because of my awesome name. I wanted to live up to my name.
Apparently people think that if you have a formal name you must be in want of a nick name. So while in college people continued to shorten my name. Kate, Kat, Katie (rarely was I called this), thrin, etc.
But I kept true to my heart and corrected them, that my name was indeed Kathryn.
Well, to make a long story short. When I met Preston he knew me as Kathryn. I failed to realize that when he met my family he would be the only one calling me Kathryn.
He was confused and I was confused, and funny enough so was my Brother-in-law Chris. Chris started to call me Pete. Which then turned into Peteums.

Preston decided to call me Katie. He likes the name Katie and wanted to call me the same thing as my family does.
Preston's family still calls me Kathryn and now their confused (this story could go on forever :)

When I moved out of my old Married Student Ward. I decided to introduce myself as Katie. So I did.

Then for some odd reason people started calling me Kate. Why, I really don't know. I would tell them that my name was Kathryn and that they could call me Katie. For some reason they weren't satisfied with this, because Kate just seemed to stick.
They even started introducing me to other people as Kate. I've started to receive invitations with Kate as my name.

Now I'm confused! I don't know what my name is. It's sad when you reach this point. Shouldn't I be like 80 and not know my name. That's normal.
Anyway, now my whole ward calls me Kate, and I really don't know what to do. I think it would be easier to either...move or pick a different name entirely.

Do I look like a Darby to you?

7 comments:

shauna said...

That is funny because I get confused, too. When we lived there you were Kathryn. When we moved, I would call and if Preston answered he would call you Katie. Then Andrea would refer to you as Katie on the blogs. Sometimes I would call you Katie in my head.

I love the name Kathryn, and Kate. Love them. We even considered it for one of our girls. And Katie has grown on me. In high school it seemed that everyone was named Katie so I wasn't a big fan of it. Whatever name you want o go by is fine with me...just let me know. Right now you are labeled on my cell phone as "My Best Friend".

At least your nicknames were normal. My brothers nicknamed me moshauna-you-ugly (from johnny lingo) and skarnk. Joe still calls me skarnk.

I think it is funny that you wanted have your strong, independent identity as Kathryn. That is so you. It cracks me up.

Janeen said...

You're Kathryn to me. Even if Aaron calls you Katie. And thanks for the post...I've wondered about that, but never did anything about it. Let me know if you'd rather not be Kathryn. :)

Daniel and Tiffany Dunn said...

I LOVE that story it comforts me because WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!! so here's my story, I LOVE the name Kate, but i thought, how cute would katherine be and then she could be called kate for nicknames, so we had a plan, THEN Daniel decided he liked katie better than kate, so when she was born he started calling her katie and it just sort of got me saying it. so then its like, what do we introduce her as? my whole family was confused as to what name to call her. I kick myself for not just naming her kate or katie i don't care which one, but just ONE!! No one calls her katherine which is sad because it IS her real name and it is a beautiful name, i fell like we wasted a beautiful name that no one calls her. But Katie is just a cute "baby" name so i don't know. i'm just as confused. everyone in our families CONSTANTLY ask what to call her so i just gave up and said, call her katie like all of us. what a crazy life when your name is Katherine!!
(sorry that was so long)
by the way i've missed you!

Anonymous said...

I never knew you had so many nic-names. I always knew you as Kathryn. I love your name, it reminds me of a name used in the Victorian ages. So the blog word puzzle thing takes the most commonly used words from your blog and puts them into a collage. P.S I am leaving for Idaho today and will be in Rexburg Saturday all day. I would love to stop by if you are going to be home. I have a break in between the wedding that I a photographing from around 3-4:30. Let me know if you are going to be home.

The Six Moores said...

OOOO Kathryn, Katie, or Kate: I have missed your blogs. You make me laugh so much. I can see how your name sistuation can be a little confusing! but also quite FUNNY! But you will always be Kathryn to me. It just fits. Hope all is well and you need to post some pics of you beautiful new home! Show off you hubbys work!
Have a great week

Here's the Story said...

Hmmm, that is quite the predicament. I think if I was you that I would get up in testimony meeting and start out by introducing yourself as KATIE Lees (for those in the ward that don't already know you of course... wink wink) and see what happens. Or you could just wait till they have you give a talk and as part of your introduction about yourself just tell the same story you blogged minus the last part about your frustration over having everyone shorten it to Kate and I think they would still get the point. And yes, you could pull off the name Darby :0 ) It is funny how people can get mixed up sometimes. One of my brothers and my sister call me Dani and I have had other people try and do it because they hear them say it, but it just makes me mad, okay maybe not mad but really annoyed for sure. By the way, I wanted to let you know that I am still experiencing Kathryn/Katie withdrawls. I wonder how much airfaire is to IF...hmmmm :0 )

Valerie: said...

so where did you go on vacation? You need to post pics!!