Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Stop Whining, Stop Crying

To Whine- to complain in an unreasonable, repeated, or irritating way.

I feel like I say this over,and over again everyday! Stop Whining, stop crying. I can't take it anymore! Everett whines and whines and I don't know the remedy for whiny children. Now I find myself whining about his whining...I think it's contagious.

Measures Taken to rectify the situation:
1. Ignore him- Only makes him say it louder and over, and over again with more whinyness.
2. Put him in time out- Only makes him cry more.
3. Mimic what he is doing- Only annoys myself...he doesn't seem to mind.
4.Stick him in the closet lock the door and leave the house- Well, haven't tried that yet, but seeing value in this plan.

The Culprit

11 comments:

Caralee and Jon said...

Oh I totally understand! Garett has been this way too lately! I shut the door and held the handle just to get some quiet before I lost it. Let me know if you get any solutions that work!

Michelle said...

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but Noah has gotten worse as he has gotten older. I still haven't figured out how to cure this. It's funny because I have tried all of the above too, except #4. I have found that if I give into whatever it is then it is 10 times worse the next time because I have already given in once. I am also glad I am not the only one that has tried out Caralee's method. Isn't motherhood great??

andrea said...

completely unrelated
go to:

weewonderfuls.typepad.com/

andrea said...

I told Chickie there is no whining allowed in our house. Although, then Chris comes home and that rule goes out the window. Hehehe. just kidding. She still whines quite a bit...but she NEVER gets anything if she whines for it. EVER Although she does get second chances to try again. And time outs if it's completely out of control.

Once we were at Darcy's and she was being such a whiner. Finally I figured out that she thought whining was allowed at Darcy's, She was completely shocked to find out that isn't. Darcy assured her that it was indeed against the rules there also. Too funny!!

Anonymous said...

I love #3. I do that to Lena all the time! It has to be a 21/2-3 year old thing. I think you and many other SAHM's feel the same way. P.S I love your blog.

shauna said...

That was my life two years ago when we had Kaylee. It seemed that I spent all day telling Heidi to stop doing things. It was not fun. Anyway, my remedy was that book Parenting the Strong-willed Child. It turned everything around when we started following it. In fact, we are doing it again because Kaylee is getting difficult and I would like to get it taken care now.

Another tactic we use is to do an FHE on what rules we want them to follow. We only pick three that we feel are the most important, practice them, and then reward them for following the rules. Our big thing now is obeying-Kaylee never does what we ask!! So during FHE we pulled out our bag of mini marshmallows and practiced. The sad thing was that the next night she didn't follow the rules during scripture reading but Heidi did. So Heidi got a marshmallow and Kaylee didn't. It took a while for her to figure out that she didn't really get one. Then she walked to her room crying. Broke my heart but Ben made me stick to it. But it worked because the next night she obeyed and got her marshmallow! I always recommend that book to people. I loved it! And it really helped Heidi after we had kaylee. Everett is probably just trying to see what the limits are with the new baby.

shauna said...

I must say that the picture you put up doesn't make him look like a whiner. He is too cute to be difficult.

Megan, Peter, and Benjamin said...

What has worked for me has been telling Benjamin, "Wow, I can't understand a word that you just said because you are whining." I tell him that even if it is just a little bit of a whine. If he keeps whining, I tell him, "Wow, I really can't understand a word. If you would like me to understand what you are saying or help you with something, then you need to say it so that I can understand it. That means I need to hear your good voice." That usually gets him to understand and then he will tell me what he would like without the nasty, nails on a chalkboard whining! I now, am happy to say, that it has worked. Usually, now all I have to say is, "Oh, is that whining in your voice?" and then he starts over with a nice audible voice.

Good luck! It is hard sometimes to be patient (especially when you now have a baby in the house!).

Daniel and Tiffany Dunn said...

Daniel and i were just discussing what our "new plan of action" was now that wesley has this the terrible two's. We didn't come up with anything. it really plays with my sanity i tell ya!

mindy said...

I think what has worked the best (like mentioned above) is to give them another chance to ask in a nice voice. Whining seriously is the worst sound in the world. I feel your pain!

shauna said...

I learned that even though Louis Lowry intentionally left the ending open...not saying whether or not he died...he is in a sequel to the book. So he must have lived because he makes another appearance later. I like to think he lived because otherwise that would be a sad ending.