Monday, March 3, 2008

If my Scriptures were on the New York Best Seller's List


I've been thinking about this a lot. Why is it that we can consume our time with so many other things and not focus on the things that matter? I have been so bad at reading my scriptures lately. President Adar gave us a challenge in our ward to find 30 min. a day of time to spend with our scriptures. It has been on my mind and I think about it constantly, but I can't seem to find the time. I wonder if I could find the time if my Scriptures were on the New York Best Seller's list...if you know what I mean. I don't know...what do you think? How do you find the time?

4 comments:

Valerie: said...

Hey..i have no good advice on scripture reading cause i need to improve a lot!! Sorry. Yeah a lot of people say she looks like me when i was that age but i didnt really see it until i was watching some home movies last weekend and she makes the same face as i did. I think she looks like dillon a lot though. Do you guys still live in rexburg? what is your plan for the next while?

shauna said...

Remember when I first moved and we talked about not reading anything else until we had read our scriptures first?? Don't worry...I don't do that. I miss a lot of days. And the sad thing is that I only read one chapter a day anyway! Ben reads his in the morning while he is eating breakfast. I read mine in bed at night. I just have to make sure that I am not too tired. We had a talk in church the other day about giving tithing and how in the early church the members would pay with food. They would always make sure that they gave the best potatoes or the best corn they had instead of giving just the left overs. The speaker compared that with our time and asked if we give our best time to the Lord or do we only give what is left over? Such as, do we read when we can really spend the time studying or do we read when we are barely able to make it through the chapter because we are too tired? It's something to think about. The sad thing is that I used to be great about reading my scriptures and now I'm not. I used to study with a pen and do a couple of chapters but now I just hope I even get it done.

Here's the Story said...

That challenge really stood out to me too. Ever since then I have had his words ringing in my head and whenever I go to do something I think "Is this more important than reading my scriptures?" It really made me realize how many of the things though fun or good that I do during the day really aren't that important in the whole scheme of things. This sounds so terrible but I have developed a really short attention span lately and I was wondering if I would even be able to read for that long. What helps me is to have a pad of paper and to write down the thoughts that come to me or what I am learning or noticing for the first (or second) time. It makes the time go by really quickly and it really helps me to internalize what I have read.

Elise said...

The thing that I have tried that worked the longest was before I when to sleep I would turn my TV so it was faceing the wall. Then the next day I couldn't turn it around until I had read. Well, now I really don't have time to watch TV so it doesn't work anymore but it did for awhile anyway. It is always a work in progress.