Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Are you Vain or Prideful?


"Vanity and Pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us."
-Pride and Prejudice (Mary Bennet)
I think this quote is interesting. So what would you say you are...Proud or Vain?

5 comments:

shauna said...

Good question. I would have to say a mix of both. I am vain in the fact that I know what my weaknesses are and instead of except them I will try to hide them from everyone. It matters to me what people think. But I also grew up in a proud family so I have had to work on not thinking I am amazing. My parents and grandparents always make comments like 'well you would have done a much better job than that person' and I believed them! It is good to encourage your kids, but my would put down others...this rubbed off on me. I think I have improved that area of my life since high school but I do judge myself against other people all the time, especially with kids. I also compare my kids with theirs, I hate that I do it and Ben always tells that I need to quit. Anyway, good question. (Hopefully that all made sense!)

Katie said...

It's true. I decided that I am a little bit of both myself. I would say more vain than proud. I do care what others think of me. I decided that I want to work on that. Not caring what others think of me. Easier said than done...right? I think that comparing your children to other peoples children is one of the hardest things to not do. It almost feels like a natural habit. I need to work on that myself. I think that if more of us worked on not being vain and proud, there would be a lot less people offended by someone else.

The Riries said...

Good thought/question. I think I'm a little of both too! :( It's good to realize and work on though, so thank you for the reminder! Also, if you want to add a cute background to your blog (even though it looks good how it is!), you can go to www.pyzam.com. It has all these cute backgrounds to choose from and gives you directions on how to do it.

Michelle said...

I have to say that I think I am a little more vain. For some reason I do care what people think about me. I think it's because I have a hard time making friends and I just want people to like me. As I was pondering this question I started thinking do I care what Heavenly Father thinks of me. Does that play a role in either being vain or proud? If we really know how He feels about us should we care what other people think of us? So like yesterday I was in Broulims with the boys getting stuff for dinner. We had one of the car carts and Noah and Josh were getting way into pretending it was a real car. They wanted me to play along with me. It took almost every fiber of my being to swerve the cart around and make a pit stop for gas. All because I didn't want people thinking I was a big dork. Anyway I guess I need to work on that. Good question. Oh and by my name I was thinking that you could put...Michelle...my chauffeur. Just kidding about that. I don't mind driving you around. You keep me company!!

Katie said...

Thanks for your comments! This is fun! Michelle, I love how you added how we feel about Heavenly Fathers opinion of us. I didn't think about that, but I would say that that is definetly not vain if we are sincere. His opinion should matter the most to us. You guys are awesome.